e-EMS with Cisco Spark intergration
We are proud to introduce you to e-EMS, it has been built to integrate Environmental Management, ISO Quality compliance and Realtime operational decision making.
It is a dynamic Cloud Environmental Management System that records and reports on all aspects of ISO 14001 Energy Management Systems plus provides real-time, multi-way, actionable, communication between both human to machine and machine to machine data.
What sets it apart is that it is managed from the cloud, making it much easier to deploy than traditional systems and can be accessed both centrally and in the field. It is a framework application that can be tailored to your specific business requirements.
It makes it simple to provide a more complete solution for businesses who are looking to identify where they can either make additional savings or increase their margins across a range of energy, waste, environmental and compliance services.
Within the application and built on Cisco enterprise grade collaboration platforms; Spark and Tropo; is an Internet of Everything communication portal. In outline this provides live support with experts, task management, machine to machine recording and alerts, automatic SMS notification for field operators and head office administrators.
e-EMS is a joint venture, it was built and is maintained by Purple Realtime, the application developers and the service is fully supported and delivered by Enims, a leading environmental consultancy. Enims and Purple Realtime enable organisations, throughout UK and Europe, to strategically demonstrate environmental compliance and excellence.
Current methods of implementing and maintaining an EMS (e.g. consultants, numerous site visits) are expensive, time consuming and invasive. In addition there is little clear guidance on how to progress towards ISO 14001 certification
Who should use it?
Organisations who might benefit are drawn from all sectors and range in size and scale across the supply chain.
- Companies required to (or wanting to) measure and reduce carbon emissions plus demonstrate a commitment to carbon reduction. For example motorway maintenance and development, civil engineering, and other large-scale construction projects with large and diverse supply chains.
- Companies trying to reduce energy costs or improve environmental performance. Those highly energy intensive or with large vehicle fleets.
- Companies required to (or wanting to) adopt an Environmental Management System often a pre-requisite to joining certain supply chains
- Companies with strict requirements from environmental law. Waste management for example
- Companies looking to improve environmental credentials, awareness of employees and have a ‘green’ image
- Companies who are obliged to implement and maintain an EMS as a result of contracts
- Companies who still lack the resources or expertise to implement and maintain an EMS
The e-EMS application incorporates a range of tools to allow businesses to assemble all their environmental data into one easy to manage and secure location, whereby ENIMS can evaluate, consult and recommend energy management initiatives and carbon reduction tasks.
- It is a multi-tenant cloud-based platform that allows client organisations their own view and data entry areas. Each organization can enter data for multiple site and for multiple energy management categories.
- It is a repository for documents relating to environmental management and training.
- It allows for a concise and transparent audit trail so any business can show compliance with relevant environmental management standards, specifically ISO14001:2015
- It has the ability to collect meter readings from a variety of sources including smart sensors and show the results in easy to digest graphics.
- It is a task management system ensuring all tasks relating to environmental management are completed on time. Tasks can be set to auto alert via SMS when they are due or if task deadlines are missed.
- It provides access to experts in environmental management to help with issues and troubleshooting.
Using e-EMS data, a business can identify areas where they can make improvements and initiate plans to reduce their carbon footprint and make financial savings. Also, the success of any plans that are undertaken can be tracked in realtime using e-EMS to further refine them.
Cisco enterprise grade collaboration technologies, Spark and Tropo, provide unique solutions to issues faced when creating this application There are three main areas in which we use them for secure, reliable communication between devices or between operators.
Cisco Spark is the basis for the e-EMS support system, allowing users to raise support requests within e-EMS directly to a support operator. That request creates its own spark room in which a support operator can respond to the user is a chat style environment. The actual spark room is hidden from the user inside e-EMS so they have a seamless experience only the support operator directly interacts with the Cisco Spark application. To further enhance the support system we incorporated Cisco Tropo to automatically send SMS alerts to support operators to let them know when a new ticket is opened.
The second area where Cisco technology came in handy was with e-EMS’s task management system. Tasks are assigned to energy champions or operators to review, follow up or action energy management recommendations, training or data collection as part of their routine duties. E-mails are good for reminders but with the sheer amount that the average person receives they can be easily missed. With Cisco Tropo integrated into the task management system automatic SMS messages can be sent with reminders about a task in a prominent and unambiguous way.
Lastly the secure environment of Cisco Spark along with the ability to see every single message ever sent in a Spark room means it is an ideal platform for machine-to-machine communication. That is why we used it as the delivery method for communication between e-EMS and a range of smart sensors that we have developed. These smart sensors allow data to be entered directly into the e-EMS application without human involvement increasing ease, accuracy and reliability.
Users can easily connect smart sensors to e-EMS; simply create a record for the sensor and a Spark room will be created specially for it. The smart sensor can then send its readings to that room where they will immediately be picked up by our system.
If sensor problems are reported, it is easy for a support engineer to enter the ‘machine-room’ and look back through the archive of sensor data and sensor activity to pinpoint not just the problem, but also the data preceding and the time of the problem.
The system doesn’t just passively sit around waiting for data. The system is actively monitoring the incoming Spark channels for regular data. If a smart sensor fails for some reason or stops sending readings, a SMS notification warning will be sent out to alert a predefined user so they can investigate further.
Development in this area is based on the end customer’s particular energy management and monitoring needs, Purple Realtime are able to quickly evaluate, adapt and create new sensor integration, either from scratch or for existing smart devices.
Our smart sensors exemplify how e-EMS is helping to revolutionize the way environmental management is done. By utilizing realtime communication with intelligent automated processing and putting it all on a simple to use cloud based platform it takes what was once a tedious chore and makes it effortless.
The way the application has been built means businesses are able to show a complete audit trail within compliance with environmental standards.
Using secure and reliable Cisco collaboration technologies and a cloud application framework e-EMS is flexible and adaptable. It can be made to work for any business, large or small, that has an interest or objective to manage their energy usage.
In conjunction with ENIMS’ consultancy expertise, e-EMS is part of an overall solution for energy management, carbon reduction, saving the planet and saving wasted $$$. In short, together we are simplifying a complex and expensive process, in order to make Energy Management Systems and ISO 14001 more accessible.
- Introduction of a more advanced carbon footprint tool
- Incorporation of biodiversity assessments and biodiversity management plans
- Linking of e-EMS to a sustainability plan
- Further integration of APIs to build communication and collaboration on the Cisco platform
- Expansion of the system to cover Quality (ISO 9001), and Health & Safety (OSHAS 18001), and other relevant standards
Contact us to learn more about how e-EMS can be used in your business to help with your ISO 14001 accreditation and management.